This page provides information for parents and carers on the end of year expectations for children in our school. The National Curriculum outlines these expectations as being the minimum requirements your child must meet in order to ensure continued progress.
All the objectives will be worked on throughout the year and will be the focus of direct teaching. Any extra support you can provide in helping your children to achieve these is greatly valued.
Mathematics End of Year
- Compare & order numbers up to 10000000.
- Identify common factors, common multiples & prime numbers.
- Round any whole number to a required degree of accuracy.
- Multiply 4-digit by 2-digit
- Divide 4-digit by 2-digit
- Add & subtract fractions with different denominators & mixed numbers.
- Multiply simple pairs of proper fractions, writing the answer in the simplest form.
- Divide proper fractions by whole numbers.
- Calculate % of whole number.
Reading End of Year
- Refer to text to support opinions and predictions.
- Give a view about choice of vocabulary, structure etc.
- Distinguish between fact & opinion.
- Appreciate how a set of sentences has been arranged to create maximum effect.
- Recognise complex sentences.
- To know not to interrupt when someone else is saying something.
- Present a spoken argument that develops coherently and logically and supports its points with evidence and persuasive language.
Writing End of Year
- Use subordinate clauses to write complex sentences.
- Use passive voice where appropriate.
- Use expanded noun phrases to convey complicated information concisely (e.g. The fact that it was raining meant the end of sports day).
- Evidence of sentence structure and layout matched to requirements of text type.
- Semi-colon, colon, dash to mark the boundary between independent clauses.
- Correct punctuation of bullet points.
- Hyphens to avoid ambiguity.
- Full range of punctuation matched to requirements of text type.
- Use wide range of devices to build cohesion within and across paragraphs.
- Use paragraphs to signal change in time, scene, action, mood or person.
- Legible, fluent and personal handwriting style.